02 October 2007

Who Am I?

I was speaking to a 동생 (younger sibling figure, for you non-Koreans) earlier today, and she told me she was on the verge of professing her undying love for a guy at school.
Now, this girl has become somewhat of a surrogate younger sister to me, so naturally, my older brother mentality kicked in. So I posited the following questions:
"Who is he? Is he a good guy? Tell me about him. Who is he?"
Naturally, she replied with a list of things about him:
"He's tall, he's good looking, he plays tennis, he plays the trumpet, he's got a good voice, he's nice."

My initial reaction was, "How typical..."
And then I realized, she didn't really answer my question.
You see, I had asked her, "Who is he?"
But she answered the question of, "What is he?"
She gave me a long list of things about him, but that didn't really answer my question of who this guy really is.

What's your initial reaction when someone asks you about another person? Do you start by reading off a veritable grocery list of qualities? To me, it begs the question, "are our identities really defined by a résumé of clubs and activities we participate in?"

I'm reminded of a scene from the season premiere of The Office from last week. In it, Michael goes around and asks his employees what religion they are. Michale asks the I.T. Guy what religion he is:
"Well if you're going to reduce my identity to my religion, then I'm Sikh. But I also like hiphop and NPR. And I'm restoring 1967 Corvette in my spare time."
I asked someone else the question, "Who are you?"
To which she replied, "I'm Jane."

Best answer ever.
So, I ask you, faithful reader (singular).

Who are you?

Not so easy to answer... is it?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee. It's about time that you update this thing.