18 October 2005

What Does the Future Hold? ($3.95 for the first 10 minutes and $.95 each additional minute)

I often sit back and wonder what exactly will the world be like in, oh, let say, ten years. Will we have flying cars? Will entire meals be compressed into pill form? Will we have robotic maids?
The answer to the previous three questions is most likely, "No."

I'm excited to see what I'm going to be doing in ten years. Maybe I'll be out on the fields of North Korea, preaching to G.I.s. Maybe I'll be at a base in Georgia as a counselor. Maybe I won't even be in the Army. Who knows. All I know is that I don't think I'll be at a church. Definitely not as youth pastor. Haha. It's not so much that I don't like working with the youth. Well... actually... maybe it is. I just don't feel a bleeding aching heart for youth. Lambast me all you want, but I don't believe that's my calling.

I've always wanted to teach.

No, not high school. Too much hand holding goes on in high schools these days.

College or Grad School is where I want to be.

I never saw myself as leading a church or a congregation. Sure, that's what most people think right when you drop the "s-bomb" on them, i.e. "Seminary."
"Yeah, I want to go to seminary."
"Oh? You want to become a preacher?"
"No"
"Oh, then a minister?"
"No."
"I don't understand."

No, no. No church for me. Too much drama. Too mundane. I'd get too caught up in it and bored by it at the same time. (Is that even possible?)
I need something more challenging. I need something with a little more kick. (Bam!)

One of my greatest fears is living a mediocre life. I do not want to be 40-something and not have accomplished anything cool. I envy all my professors who have a veritably infinite source of anecdotes and bio-sketches to tell you about until the cows come home.

On top of that, I've always wanted to leave my mark on history. Not for the fame. Not for the fortune. But simply as an indicator or a sign of hope to posterity that yes, people do care.

And my name on a building would be nice too...

Wait, is that too much to ask for?

No comments: